Please make your way in an orderly fashion to The Praising Armadillo where my mother's quotes will take permenant residence from now on.

Thursday 29 December 2011

Just Another Lesson Learned...

Christmas week is a funny old time. Especially when the festivities fall on a weekend, because it make the days in the middle seem a little like no man's land. Of course for some people life just continues. The supermarkets get quieter and the festive atmosphere fades away, like a balloon that's slowly losing air, deflating unnoticed in the corner. For others, its like being suspended in mid-air, waiting for the year to end. So here I am, waiting for 2011 to end, the year that kicked me in my little (and metaphorical) armadillo nuts and then beat me senseless.

I just want this damn year to end but I realise there's still a lot of loose ends to tie up before I can bid 2011 farewell. This week has been spent visiting family and having a pretty good time. Such a good time I feel like Christmas went by too fast. Believe me, no one is more shocked than I am that I actually had an awesome Christmas. But New Year's has always been a big deal for me. It's about new beginnings and an insight into the coming year. Last year, I spent New Year's eve in the most romantic embrace, out in the frosty night on Westminster Bridge with my wonderful boyfriend. We watched the most amazing fireworks display I have ever seen, held hands and hoped for better chances in 2011. It is funny how through everything that's happened he remains the one constant in my day-to-day life, never changing, ever perfect.

I think most people would agree if you over plan New Year's it always ends in disappointment. I recall one year when we went to great lengths to have a party that ended with everyone looking round at each other going, “Is it midnight now? Yeah, its now! Yeah, yeah? Happy New Year!... ???” Of course others have been more than memorable. 2010 began in Cyprus with a lavish dinner at a friends house, followed by a lot of drinks, dancing on chairs and conga-lining to the village people.

I have always been a firm believer that Christmas is for family and New Year's is for friends. In a further break from tradition, this New Year's will be spent with a mix of both. Normally at this point I would come up with some New Year's resolutions, but that will only raise expectations of the coming year. And its not that I'm particularly bad at keeping them, but I'd rather concentrate on what I have a acquired this year and take that with me into 2011 instead of ignoring the lessons learned, only to hit pitfalls in my 'new self' or 'new regime'. So here are the things I have learned in 2011:

  1. No matter how far apart you grow, it's extraordinary how your family appears when you need them most.
  2. If you panic, no one can understand your hyperventilating squeaks.
  3. Nurture your self-confidence, it's a priceless possession.
  4. Don't ever lie to yourself. Its a massive waste of time, and you're clearly not dumb enough to believe yourself.
  5. Stand up for yourself – Its much easier than being unhappy in the long run.
  6. Be honest with those you love – They know you well enough to know when you're lying.
  7. Take solace in the things that make you truly happy – but don't eat too much of them/it/those or you'll feel sick.
  8. Death is just another part of life. The most important thing you can do is continue to live.
  9. Listen to Wolfmother, they fucking rock.

2011 will always be the year I lost my dad no matter how I spin it. But that's not all it needs to be about. There were good memories made in 2011, important lessons learned and I'll always keep laughing.. I make no apologies for it, it is just my nature. There's a New Years resolution for everyone:
    1. Laugh more. Its very very very good for you...
Above: The Laughing Christmas Armadillo...

"I see the New Moon Rising..."



Oooooh... I love this song...

2 comments: